Tuesday, December 26, 2006

On Death penalty in Iraq

It was reported today that Saddam Hossein, the former Iraqi dictator has lost his appeal against the death penalty that was issued against him. As a person who believes that the death penalty has no justification whatso ever- no matter what is the crime- I do hope that despite his crimes, he would not be hanged. I totally oppose his hanging. I am aware that some Iranians would love to see him hanged for his crimes against Iran during Iraq-Iran war of the 1980s. I have no doubt that he committed crimes against humanity in iran- as in elsewhere, but, still, I can not and will not support his death penalty. Hanging him, would not help any one, it can only make the situation in Iraq a lot worse. First, the people in Iraq deserves to be given a new beginning, a beginning free from " legalised murder"- that is what death penalty is in my view. Second, would Saddam's hanging serve any prupose or solve any problems? I do not think so. It could be argued that it would surely further destabilise an already fragile situation and would turn Iraq into a bloodier blood bath.
My suggestion would be to send him into exile to a remote island and watch him die.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home