Friday, January 11, 2008

Crisis of legitimacy in Iran

I have not written anything here for many months. To be honest with you, I do not know why! Obviously, I was busy, who is not, but that will not explain this. Whatever the reason, I will try to be more active.
Just a few points:
The next general elections are underway and already a number of parties have decided not to participate. One such party, The Movement for Freedom [ Nehzat-e Azadi] [MF] has even asked for international observers to oversee the elections. On the other hand, form the grand Ayattolah, Khamene-ee to other members of the government and even Ministers in the former President Khatami's government attacked MF and claimed that Iranian people would not accept this. I have no means of knowing if that is the case. What I do know, however, is this, if they have nothing to hide, why are they afraid of International observers? Would it not be better for the IRI to have this endorsement, i.e. international observers confirming that these elections were free and fair. I fear that as in the past, we would have the general elections, but that would not be free or fair, and hence, the crisis of legitimacy would continue.
In the past few days, Iran suffered a serious Cold rush! Surprisingly though, the government has closed down the economy in order to save gas and electricity and yet, PoorMohammadi, the Interior Minister claimed that " Crisis management" is far more advanced in Iran than in the US or in Europe!
You can read an interesting piece here, in which it is said that about $14 billion of " oil revenue" is not accounted for!
Other evidence seems to show that this sum is more likely to be larger. I will return to this in my future posts.
I offer my sincere apologies for my inactivity in the past several months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home