Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cry for help!

I wonder if you could help! I have always had difficulties in understanding Mr Ahmadinejad’s speeches and now reached a painful point that I think he may not be making these speeches in farsi a language that I love and cherish. Have a look at two versions of his latest speech, and please give a summary of it in farsi or in English so that I could also understand him. Whatever sources you use, the economic situation in the country is getting out of control, and as a cosmetic surgery, his government leaked out that Danesh Jafari- the minister for economic affairs- would be replaced. And yet, in his speeches lately, Ahmadinejad says nothing about these issues. We also know that cash subsidies are to replace the current system and it is reported that cash would be paid into banking accounts of the citizens, initially everyone and then gradually, the middle and high income citizens would be eliminated and this is what seems to be his “grand plan” for the economy! I am aware that some of my Iranian colleagues have already started discussing cash versus non-cash subsidies and came out in favour of cash subsidies. I am too old and too tired to get into this type of discussion. My point, however, is simple, a policy that can not be implemented is not good or bad, it simply does not exist. The institutions and the infrastructure- not to mention the necessary political and social will- for an effective and fair distribution of cash subsidies are not there and hence, this policy like an unwanted foetus in a diseased womb would be terminated, and the body- the economy- would be bleeding for many more years to come. Let me return to my initial point, if anyone understand Mr Ahmadinejad’s speeches, please help me to understand them too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home