Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Refrandum or no refrandum, this is the question:

In a trip to Mashhad during the Iranian New Year, the supreme leader of the Islamic Republic of Iran, Ayatol-lah Khamenei, issued a challenge to the West. Replying to the claim that Iran is being isolated, he said, " let us have a refrandum in the world of Islam to see who is more popular? Mr Bush, or Mr Ahmadinejad?" and went on to say" if you are not afraid of its disgraceful result, let us have this refrandum".
I have no idea if anyone in the West would take this issue seriously enough even to reply. But, what I do know, however, is this. About 70% of Iran's population are under 30 years old and have had no say in deciding the shape of the Iranian state. As Mr Khamenei seems so keen about refrandum to settle disagreement, could I suggest Sir, if you yourself are not afraid of "its disgraceful resutl", why do you not issue a decree to have one in Iran! I promise and give you my words, that if 51% of those who participate support your style of government, I would become one of your " devotees"!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home