Sunday, April 30, 2006

A short true story!

A short true story from Tehran daily, Iran:

-Why do you cry?
-Having no support is really painful
-What has happened?
-What has happened? I have been working here for the past two years I have never been paid on time. Whenever they wish, they pay me.
-What is your job?
-I make garments
-How much are you paid?
-100,000 tomans/month. [for an 11 hours/day, less than $4]
-How long do you work per day?
-I start at 8.00 am and finish at 7.00 pm.
While wiping her tears, she continues
-But when, they should pay me, it is really hard for them. Once every two months, sometimes, even once every three months, I am paid. Just imagine how hard my life is with three children!
-Where is your husband?
- He serves tea in one of these companies. His situation is even worse than mine. They do not pay him either.
- Why do you not protest?
- Protest! I have protested today, and have been sacked. That is what I was afraid of, and this is exactly what had happened to me. Three kids, rent, fees for education…
- Have you had any employment insurance in the past two years?
- You must be kidding! They hardly paid my wages.
- Why did you not complain?
- Had I complained, I would have been expelled a lot earlier.
She was still crying, did not finish her sentence and went away…
I solute the workers everywhere on the occasion of May 1:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home